Dr. Preethi Nagaraj
Common causes of brown spots on the face and how to get rid of them
Updated: May 16, 2020
Everyone desires a clear and a blemish free face. While genes, age, sun exposure, diet and good skin care routine all play a role in achieving a blemish free skin, there are a few causes of brown spots on the face which could occur despite following the best skin care regime.
Here are listed a few causes and how to get rid of them.
1. Dermatosis Papillosa Nigra (DPN’S) – A big name for the tiny, warty outgrowths on the face. They are usually familial. They can be easily removed by a small procedure called as electrocautery.
Electrocautery is a simple procedure done to remove DPN's and age spots.
You can watch the procedure video on our YouTube channel here.
2. Melasma – It is a very commonly seen type of pigmentation. Can be associated with pregnancy, hypothyroidism, sunlight exposure and advancing age. Can be treated with sunscreens, lightening agents, chemical peels and microdermabrasion.
You can watch chemical peel procedure video on our YouTube channel by clicking here
3. Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation – This refers to the marks left behind by acne, eczemas or traumatic abrasions. It can be treated by a combination of lightening creams and deep chemical peels.
Are chemical peels safe for your skin? Read here.
4. Freckles – These are the brown spots, which occur on exposure to sunlight. While sunscreens form the mainstay of treatment, the existing freckles can be easily removed by a procedure called radiofrequency ablation.
Watch how radiofrequency removal of freckles is done on our YouTube channel here
5. Age spots/ Seborrhoeic keratosis – These are brownish to black spots, which appear stuck on to the skin seen with advancing age. These can be removed by radiofrequency ablation.